first of all, a big thank you to all of you who came to my talk, and to all of you who played Whose Slide Is It Anyway, Notacon Trivia, or Know Your Notacon Presenters. it made me happy to see you all there, and i hope you enjoyed yourselves. an extra-special thank you to everyone who participated in the question-and-answer session after my talk...i was so impressed by the insights you all brought to the discussion about new people in the hacker community, and you've given me a lot to think about.
and, now...a set of bullet-pointed observations, tales, and miscellanies from the weekend that was.
- hot all-girl rock bands consisting of me, Tottenkoph, Lizard, and Christina are awesome...and rather good at both being the rockingest band at notacon, and wiki-ing moms.
- if i wear a shirt that shows off my boobs, the Balloon Baron forgets to give me money.
- faygo rock-n-rye is good, but an even tastier interpretation of rock-n-rye involves mixing rock star energy drink with rye. yummy!
- it's funny to hear punkrokk give a talk about his balls.
- maybe it's not the best idea to sign up for Whose Slide if it means you have to give a talk right after taking your Shardy+ test. if you wonder why this is a good suggestion, chemhacker may be able to explain.
- anytime anyone was fiddling with a staff radio, i fought an almost uncontrollable urge to go "raaaaaaadio...raaaaaaaaadio...yipyipyipyipyipyip!". that may or may not have been vocalised at least once, and i wonder if anyone i worked reg desk with thought i was completely nuts.
- Stormgren's military special rum is...well...extra-special, in the way that it eats through cups.
- bus trips with Jimmie and Eli lead to the creation of neighbourly websites like circuitsluts.com.
- guitar hero is awesome. guitar hero ported to the Commodore 64 is even more awesome.
- trips to the shooting range are fun, whether they're before the con, after the con...or, as was true for this con, both of the above. niteshad wins for arranging both of the range trips, as well as for letting me shoot his firearms. also, on the thursday trip, Tottenkoph's squeeful reaction to shooting niteshad's AR-7 was pretty much the most adorable thing ever.
- as much as i rant about needing a break and being dead tired at the end of the con, it probably rings a little hollow when i am still at the con hotel, and purchasing bus tickets to go to penguicon in less than two weeks. ;-)