Friday, July 17, 2009

Wesley Willis is the daddy of rock and roll!

i did it!



yesterday, i spent a little over an hour standing at the corner of Franklin and Jackson, blasting Wesley Willis from an iPod speaker and holding up a sign christening the Wesley Willis Tower! it was a blast...i got such a range of reactions, and it took far longer than expected for building security to kick me off of the premises.

some people wanted to take my picture--a few asked, more didn't. some were sneaky and took photos from across the street. some stopped in front of me, didn't talk to me, and just took my picture. some people walked by and cheered about how awesome Wesley Willis is, and how he whips the llama's ass. some people got the reference completely wrong, and screamed a hearty "what'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?"

most people just looked at me with confusion in their eyes.

all in all, i'm so glad i did it. i was really bummed when security kicked me off the premises, although i was completely unsurprised. i'm kind of wondering how they found out, since i didn't see anyone who was clearly a security guy until the guy with a Willis Tower tag walked up to me and told me i needed to go across the street. still, i had a pretty good run of it...i got through twenty-five songs before i had to leave.

and, if just one person saw my sign and googled the name Wesley Willis, i did my job. <3

3 comments:

Eric Allix Rogers said...

Awesome, wish I had seen you!

HBM said...

I am SO glad that you remember--nay, celebrate--the fantastic that IS Wesley Willis. I remember being in High school, blasting "I whooped superman's ass" and "Rock 'n Roll McDonald's" all the while laughing hysterically while classmates wondered what my problem was.

Seriously, his unfettered use of pre=programed keyboard arrangement combined with his trademark delivery of other brand's trademarks at the end of songs (WHEATIES--DA BREKFUST OF CHAMPIONS) were remarkable and I miss them to the day.


Rock over London. Rock on Chicago.

monkee13 said...

Rock Over London... Rockon Chicago!!!!
I really do miss Wesley, I was just a kid when I first met him. We was down in the subways platforms drawing portraits (if you wanted them or not). A year a two later I would see him down there with his Casio freestyling songs. Years later he started selling tape and net thing I know he is play the Metro and on tour.

I miss him... You can be guaranteed he is ROCKIN the pearly gates as we speak...