Friday, June 27, 2008

nicky for dummies

borrowed from hilary

You know how sometimes people on your friend's list post about stuff going on in their life, and all of a sudden you think "Wait a minute? Since when are they working THERE? Since when are they dating HIM/HER? since when???" And then you wonder how you could have missed all that seemingly pretty standard information, but somehow you feel too ashamed to ask for clarification because it seems like info you *should* already know? It happens to all of us sometimes.


First name: nicolle...although i generally go by nicky. i've gone by nicky since the age of ten, because having people pronounce it "nicole" instead of "nee-kull" has always driven me nuts. another tidbit about my name...it's not capitalised. i made that decision about ten years ago, and still don't honestly see the point about capitalising my name. it's just like any other common noun...on top of my bed right now are some pillows, some books, a computer, and a nicky.

Age: twenty-five

Location: chicago, illinois...more specifically, the ravenswood/lincoln square area.

Occupation: studying for the bar exam. i take the bar next month [july 29-30], get to bum around for a month, and then start work at a law firm downtown [which shall remain nameless here, for very obvious reasons!] around labour day.

Partner(s): none. i still really, really don't want to be in anything serious or committed. the idea turns my stomach. i'm fine with dating casually, flirting [or more] with random people along the way, but i love the freedom that being single gives me and i have no desire to give that up.

Kids: none, ever. i hate children. some people have the patience and desire to deal with squirmy youngsters who will scream, cry, and wake you up before noon on a weekend. not me. as soon as i'm employed, i'm finding a doctor who will sterlize me, and that will be that.

Pets: none, for the time being. eventually, i'll probably get a pet...probably a cat, because my lifestyle is far more conducive to cats and not dogs. but, i'm still not home enough to take proper care of a cat at this point in my life, and if i'm going to get a pet, it's not going to be until i'm confident i can take proper care of my pet.

School: brentwood elementary [1988-1993], east millbrook middle [1993-1996], millbrook high [1996-2000], university of chicago [2000-2004, bachelor's degree in political science], washington university in st. louis [2005-2008, juris doctor]. done with school forever now, and i couldn't be happier about that fact.

Siblings: Danielle is 24 and lives in north carolina. Forrest is 23 and lives in idaho. Jonathon is 21, and also lives in idaho.

Parents: my mother lives in idaho. i talk to her occasionally. my father lived in tennessee as last i heard, but i cut him out of my life about four and a half years ago and don't regret it one bit--i only wish i had done so sooner, since it would have saved me a lot of stress and heartache.

Health: really nothing interesting or noteworthy on that front.

3-5 Biggest Things Going On Right Now:

  1. i'm studying for the bar exam. it blows, and i complain about it a lot. i'm scared to death of failing, since i failed the ethics portion of the bar the first time, and i seem to have a penchant for doing poorly on things at my first attempt, and not getting it right until the second try. hopefully i'll pass the bar, but i'm really not optimistic about it.
  2. i just moved back to chicago last month, but my roommates [kevin and phil] and i are going to have to move at the end of july--right after my bar exam. the landlord wants to jack up the rent another $200 a month for an apartment that is already more expensive than most similar places in the area, and we're not going to stand for that. we were going to sign a lease a few days ago on another place we found, but people swooped in and signed leases on it before we could. we're going apartment hunting tomorrow, and hopefully will be able to find a good, reasonably-priced place near lincoln square. i'm kind of excited about a new place...my bedroom here is itty-bitty, and getting to be too small for me, my bed, and all my computer stuff. having a bedroom big enough for a desk will be great. also, the current place does not have central air, and i'm sweltering. any new place we rent had better have central air.
  3. my life is surprisingly boring...those are really the only two interesting things going on. it's not like i'm bored--i'm going out in town a lot, singing karaoke, hanging out with my friends, walking around and taking in the excitement that is the city of chicago. but, i don't have any other big things going on in my life, just the day to day ritual of barbri and finding new and exciting ways to avoid it for the time being.

2 comments:

Nick said...

I've always wondered why you gave up physics for law, but I'm too lazy to bother digging through your blog history to see if you ever said why.

nicolle said...

it was pretty simple...i don't know if i ever blogged about it much, though, because it was before i ever had a blog. i loved the principles of physics, but HATED working in a lab. i couldn't deal with being away from people so much, just working and researching. i didn't like the lab environment, and i didn't look forward to the publish-or-perish of academia.